From around the 7th century AD till around the advent of
British rule, for around a millennium, history of Bankura district is identical
with the rise and fall of the Hindu Rajas of Bishnupur. The Bishnupur Rajas,
who were at the summit of their fortunes towards the end of the 17th century,
started declining in the first half of the 18th century. First, the Maharaja of
Burdwan seized the Fatehpur Mahal, and then the Maratha invasions laid waste
their country.Bishnupur was ceded to the British with the rest of Burdwan
chakla in 1760.
In 1787, Bishnupur was united with Birbhum to form a separate administrative unit. In 1793 it was transferred to the Burdwan collectorate. In 1879, the district acquired its present shape with the thanas of Khatra and Raipur and the outpost of Simplapal being transferred from Manbhum, and the thanas of Sonamukhi, Kotulpur and Indas being retransferred from Burdwan. However, it was known for sometime as West Burdwan and in 1881 came to be known as Bankura district. Mallyaraj Bir Singh was the king of Mallyabhum (Bishnupur) in seventeenth century .
Mallyaraj Bir Singh built the present fort, the temple of Lalji in 1658, and seven big lakes named Lalbandh, Krishnabandh, Gantatbandh, Jamunabandh, Kalindibandh, Shyambandh and Pokabandh in Bishnupur. His queen, Siromani or Churamani, built the temples of Madan Mohan and Murali Mohan in 1665. He walled up alive all his sons, eighteen in number. The youngest, Durjan, alone escaped, having been kept in hiding by the servants.
In 1787, Bishnupur was united with Birbhum to form a separate administrative unit. In 1793 it was transferred to the Burdwan collectorate. In 1879, the district acquired its present shape with the thanas of Khatra and Raipur and the outpost of Simplapal being transferred from Manbhum, and the thanas of Sonamukhi, Kotulpur and Indas being retransferred from Burdwan. However, it was known for sometime as West Burdwan and in 1881 came to be known as Bankura district. Mallyaraj Bir Singh was the king of Mallyabhum (Bishnupur) in seventeenth century .
Mallyaraj Bir Singh built the present fort, the temple of Lalji in 1658, and seven big lakes named Lalbandh, Krishnabandh, Gantatbandh, Jamunabandh, Kalindibandh, Shyambandh and Pokabandh in Bishnupur. His queen, Siromani or Churamani, built the temples of Madan Mohan and Murali Mohan in 1665. He walled up alive all his sons, eighteen in number. The youngest, Durjan, alone escaped, having been kept in hiding by the servants.